1. How should the Christian relate to the things of the world? 1 John 2:15
2. What similar appeal does Paul give? Romans 12:2
3. Anyone who is allied with the world is what? James 4:4
4. How is our need of distinction from the world emphasized? 2 Corinthians 6:17
“If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.” 2 Corinthians 5:17.
5. We are to be transformed by renewing what? Romans 12:2
Our mind is made up of what we feed it. If we would develop the mind of Christ we must be very selective in what we allow to enter it through our eyes and ears.
6. When must we stop our ears and shut our eyes? Isaiah 33:15
7. How did Job control his eyes? Job 31:1
8. What did David resolve? Psalm 101:3
9. What should we think about? Philippians 4:8 “Whatsoever things are — whatsoever things are whatsoever things are– whatsoever things are–whatsoever things are– whatsoever things are– if there be any– and if there be any– think on these things.”
A true Christian will allow these principles to direct all his choices of reading, listening, viewing, recreation and leisure activities. As a reminder, why not place the words of Philippians 4:8 on top of the television?
10. How does the Bible describe people’s great desire for entertainment today? 2 Timothy 3:4
11. Under what description would someone who loves fiction fall? Revelation 22:15
12. When people were converted in Ephesus, what did they do with their evil books? Acts 19:19
13. What type of music is best for the Christian? Colossians 3:16
14. What about our associations? Proverbs 13:20
“Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.” Psalm 1:1-3.
15. What is the best defense against sin? Psalm 119:11
16. What should be our prayer? Psalm 19:14
17. How ought Christians to adorn themselves? 1 Timothy 2: 9, 10
18. When preparing to go before God, Jacob’s household washed, changed their garments, and gave what two things to Jacob? Genesis 35:2-4
The Bible associates cosmetics and jewelry with the vain worldliness of the wicked:
“They had golden earrings, because they were Ishmaelites.” Judges 8:24.
“Jezebel…painted her face, and tired her head.” 2 Kings 9:30.
“Though thou clothest thyself with crimson, though thou deckest thee with ornaments of gold, though thou rentest thy face with painting, in vain shalt thou make thyself fair.” Jeremiah 4:30.
“The Lord said,…wilt thou judge Aholah and Aholibah? yea, declare unto them their abominations.” “That ye have sent for men to come from far,…for whom thou didst wash thyself, paintedst thy eyes, and deckedst thyself with ornaments.” “Which put bracelets upon their hands, and beautiful crowns upon their heads.” “Thus will I cause…that all women may be taught not to do after your lewdness.” Ezekiel 23:36-49.
“She decked herself with her earrings and her jewels, and she went after her lovers, and forgat me, saith the Lord.” Hosea 2:13.
“And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication.” Revelation 17:4.
Isaiah 3:16-24 provides a very revealing list of worldly decorations which the Lord rebukes among the daughters of Zion. In verse 9 He says, “The shew of their countenance doth witness against them.”
19. What did the Lord command Israel to take off at Horeb? Exodus 33:5, 6
20. What did Peter say about the proper adorning of a Christian? 1 Peter 3:3, 4
21. What has God said about distinction in clothing? Deuteronomy 22:5
22. What, on a man, would blur that distinction? 1 Corinthians 11:14, 15
23. What motive is behind the dress of the world? Matthew 23:5
24. What has God’s grace been given to teach us? Titus 2:11, 12
25. Why did Jesus give himself for us? Titus 2:14
26. How did Paul indicate that it was with gladness that he gave up all things in order to have Christ? Philippians 3:8
27. A true Christian will want not only to keep God’s explicit commandments, but also do those things he knows are what? 1 John 3:22
28. Whatsoever is born of God does what? 1 John 5:4
In the Light of God’s Word…
I understand that the lifestyle of a true Christian is markedly different from that of an unbeliever.
I understand that God requires me to reveal His principles in my thoughts, my dress, my reading, and in all my activities.
I desire to do all that is pleasing to God.